Sunday, March 12, 2006

The goal of the chase, illustrated (take 2)

I just posted on this same Rockwell Kent illustration on our M-D blog, but it occurred to me that really, this is all pursuits illustrated. (It's also the print that is hanging on my wall in my office, but I never thought about it in this way.) Aren't all artistic-creative endeavors like this? Don't we always start out envisioning something that breaks all the boundaries...that leaps free of gravity and natural laws to something awe-inspiring?

Whenever I start to work on a grant proposal, I have the vague loomings of something amazing and incredible in mind. Air-tight arguments, charts of persuasive stats, and figures/charts that perfectly illustrate the need and solvency, all woven together in a clear, crisp, clever, even enjoyable narrative. Of course, I'm always terribly disappointed when the deadline comes, and I'm no where near my goal. And really, that goal was always a little soggy in my mind anyway.

And, when I think about completely rebuilding our JoCoWeb World, with a new content management system, a new look and feel, a new Web 2.0 philosophy, I think about something vaguely amazing and incredible. Of course, the actual world will fall far short of that goal, and be a bit disappointing, but somehow it matters that the actual goal is crazy and completely unattainable. To conclude, here's a little medley of M-D quotes....

Oh Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience!

Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.

I try all things; I achieve what I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home