Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A more leisurely course...

Like drinking and dialing/texting, there is probably a guideline about posting in the middle of the night when you can't sleep, but now I'm thinking 20 chapters a week for 7 weeks and a weekly online meeting is too ambitious (partly because I woke up at 3 a.m. in a panic about everything that's going on in the next 3 months--an IMLS/CPB grant we're working on with KCPT and Science City, the new content management system, completing the grant-funded projects we have, orienting new staff, completing the SWOT analysis and developing the 2007-2009 JoCoWeb World plan, etc...etc...)

What if we read at least 1/3 of the book per month (although you can read the whole thing in a month if you want, and just continue to contribute to the discussion as you wish)...and then we post as we wish, and meet monthly online? Like, end of Jan, end of Feb, and almost end of March (but before PLA)?

Scott mentions Skype--I'm cool with that, but I thought Skype was limited to one-on-one conversations, rather than an interactive "roomful" of folks--is that true? I'll admit that I like the idea of using OPAL since I want more staff to check it out and use it first hand, but I'll defer to you all. What are your thoughts? I don't want to be a cheertator (that was for Sarah).

4 Comments:

Blogger scott said...

skype'll do conference calls, too. the reason i know: pottercast. but maybe posting and commenting would be a better solution. no one gets drowned out in text format..

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the posting/commenting. Taking that route would allow me to get my thoughts/questions in order and I could use spell check before getting my thoughts out there!

11:10 AM  
Blogger ic-tim said...

For thos of us on the fence about this project, I like the more sauntering pace ... as Cap'n Ahab might said, "Though the chapters be short, the tale (tail?) is long on that beast ... Argh!"

Okay ... maybe that was Ahab doing his best Long John Silver impression ... I'm in ...

12:03 AM  
Blogger Degolar said...

Just looked at this blog for the first time in a while. Interesting idea. I have to admit it's been on my list of books to read since college and I've never gotten to it, so I may attempt to join you. I think I'll be a bit late for the party, though. I know I can't find the time to read it, but I'll make the goal of it being the next thing I listen to in the car. First I have to finish Anansi Boys, the newest from my favorite storyteller, Neil Gaiman. I started it Tuesday and am about 1/3 of the way through, so maybe M-D in a week or two.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home