Thursday, March 24, 2005

metaphysical triangulation

Example A.
3 a.m. I can't sleep. Actually, I woke myself up thinking about things I needed to do today, and since I couldn't get back to sleep, I read. I'm reading Barry Schwartz's The Paradox of Choice --anyway, so I'm reading, and I'm thinking, "this is so dead on...regret or fear of regret really does drive a lot of of our decisions....everyone who talks about experience libraries needs to read this...this completely explains customer service in Johnson County (an affluent county with a high-expection of everything)...and more...." and while I'll write more about Schwartz's convincing arguments in later posts, I need to get on with my story...

5:30 a.m. I finally can't keep my eyes open and go back to sleep.

6:50 a.m. I finally get out of bed, stumble into the bathroom to take my shower, turn on NPR, and there is Barry Schwartz talking about regret and the implications of choice in our society, and the other arguments I've been reading lo those early morning hours, so I start wondering if maybe I'm not really awake yet. Turns out I was awake. But there's something about reading a book at the same time that the author turns up on NPR. It's like I found the secret reading list, and somehow the heavens are aligning for me.

Example B.
This morning's inspirational quote from Fast Company:

-----Original Message-----From: Fast Company's First Impression [mailto:newsletters@fastcompany.com] Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:00 AMTo: Reynolds, Erica, JCLSubject: First Impression: Conference Room CreativityMarch 24, 2005

"The best ideas probably don't occur when everybody is sitting around a table." —Adrian Caddy, Creative Director, Imagination Ltd.

After I opened up the article linking to this "first impression" quote, I was happily surprised to see that it is an article on Guinness and brand marketing. "Guinness as a brand is all about community. It's about bringing people together and sharing stories," says Ralph Ardill, director of marketing and strategic planning.... "And Guinness stout is a great social catalyst."

Ok, isn't that some kind of sign? Of what I'm not sure, but it has to be some sort of positive convergence. Kind of like metaphysical triangulation to prove you're on the right path with whatever you're trying to work out...Guinness, community, & connections....
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/58/marketing.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home