Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ready to turn the tide?

Oooh...this gave me goosebumps--Yesterday (July 4) I posted thoughts about my recent vacation and wondered when the Web or Internet would turn the tide of politics the same way television did for Kennedy... that same day (yesterday) Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales (aka founder of Wikipedia) was posting this...

"For more than 50 years now, we have been living in the era of television politics. In the 1950s television first began to have a major impact on politics, and the results were overwhelming.
Broadcast media brought us broadcast politics. And let's be simple and bluntly honest about it, left or right, conservative or liberal, broadcast politics are dumb, dumb, dumb....

Blog and wiki authors are now inventing a new era of media, and it is my belief that this new media is going to invent a new era of politics. If broadcast media brought us broadcast politics, then participatory media will bring us participatory politics....

I am launching today a new Wikia website aimed at being a central meeting ground for people on all sides of the political spectrum who think that it is time for politics to become more participatory, and more intelligent."

Wanna play?
http://campaigns.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_Statement

2 Comments:

Blogger bck said...

Maybe we need some face-to-face components, too. Talk. Listen. Take turns presenting or leading a discussion. Does that appeal to your inner debater? I feel like I know so little, but a format like that (in addition to some great online tools and resources) would help inspire me to smarten up.

"Salons" like Lessig is conducting in San Fran??

7:37 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Yes, yes, and yes...this is a big deal to me since I come from 4 generations of Kansans, and I'm not about to give up my state to people who think that evolution is a myth or that it's ok for women politicians to be anti-21st amendment, or you know, other crazy thoughts. The issues forums that Donna Lauffer and folks at the Kettering encourage are a step in the right direction....but somehow we need more and more often...

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home