Monday, May 01, 2006

'nother readin' blog: To Kill a Mockingbird

My colleagues who read M-D with me and more (more colleagues...not more M-D...that's not possible) have decided to read To Kill a Mockingbird as a blog/reading group. And I'm thrilled....so most of my posts will be over on the Fly, Famous Bird site.

I'm an English major n' all (B.A. & M.A.), but I never read this book. Everyone just assumes you read it in high school. Although I read pretty much all that was assigned, I'm sorry to say it never came up. Here's the deal: 'Til my senior yr, I went to a really, really small school (33 in my class in high school, 800-something in the whole town). It was all about social relationships. Therefore, I left my beloved Remington High School with very little knowledge of calc & trig (although I took the classes, and received good grades), and a really advanced knowledge of gym/locker-room decoration. If you needed someone to whip up a prom theme, I was your girl.

But then I went to college, blah, blah, blah, and I'm afraid I thought that, as an English major, I read so much during my B.A., and then I finished my M.A., and you know, in between I had finished an M.L.S. with lots o' fiction mixed in, that I started thinking that, for god's sake, I must have read most everything good--at least everything really, really good written in Enligsh in the last 100 yrs. (Because not everything we read was very good...so I think my logic was that we must have been scrapin' the barrel at some point.) But that's obviously stupid, and I can't tell you how happy I am to read this book right now. I love fiction. But rarely do I read really good fiction. I wish I would have read this when I was younger, but I'm thrilled to be reading it now. Thanks all.

3 Comments:

Blogger scott said...

Lots of apostrophes in that post :D

9:23 PM  
Blogger DaddyMan said...

You hadn't read it, and in my young pup life, I had to read it three times (middle, HS, and college) AND watch the movie twice (middle and HS).

It's a good book, there's no doubt about it, but Narnia has my interest at the moment.

5:37 AM  
Blogger edh said...

"a really advanced knowledge of gym/locker-room decoration"

Now I know why I look forward to Cinco de Mayo with breathless anticipation :D

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home