Friday, September 23, 2005

Conversation is content, take two

Ok...I'm on vacation today, and normally, I'd be reading/responding to e-mails all day, but in this case, I have promised myself (and my co-workers) that I would not read work e-mail. So my fingers are jones-ing for some content and discussion. (Have you noticed that it's easier to think when you're moving your fingers? Has anyone done research on this?)

Anyway, more on conversation and content. First of all, I think that saying that conversation is more important than content misses the boat with a very narrow definition of content (a slight indeed for such a wonderfully flexible word that can be so many things to all people, including a verb, a noun, or an adjective). Without expanding content to a point at which it becomes meaningless, conversation (particularly recorded or typed conversation) IS content...just because it's not peer-reviewed doesn't make it less worthy, compelling, or clever. While I agree with Jarvis in that, it is good to "help enable and be part of fluid networks of content" that is, in many ways, also creating content. Just like I'm creating content right now. So, while I'm all about finding ways to encourage conversations--that doesn't mean I'm not about content. (Although I'll admit that Web Conversation Manager is sort of an intriguing title as well.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Thanks to Jeff Jarvis for the comment--It's good to remember that some folks will think of content as something static. Since I didn't really start thinking about what Web content could/should be until 2003 when I accepted my current job--I have a great advantage in that I only think about Web content in a world of blogs, RSS, flickr, and more collaborative, community-oriented content (or this could be a disadvantage if you think about my ability to think about what others are thinking or to craft arguments since I'm likely to assume everyone thinks about content in my context....I see, you see, we see, they see...)

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home