Saturday, October 14, 2006

This Friday: Grantwriting 101...or...shameless self promotion

Friday, Oct. 20 is the final program in our librarian's continuing ed series held in OPAL...oh, and I'm the presenter.

Last January, Lori Bell asked if I would share my library's experience applying for the National IMLS Award, and I told her I was happy to share our full application; we got to talking, and she suggested that we do an OPAL program on grantwriting. I used to present on grantwriting all the time, so doing an OPAL program was a natural fit, but that got me thinking about all the terrific presentations my colleagues have given at conferences, and how these could all be repurposed into OPAL programs to get more libraries using OPAL and taking advantage of free online programs. Before I knew it, we had a whole series of monthly programs lined up throughout 2006.

Before I took my current job as Web content manager and returned to the world of libraries, I was a program director in university research administration. Part of my job was writing and reviewing grant proposals, and teaching faculty members to write successful proposals. Since my work now is mostly project based, we usually need grants to get our more ambitious projects off the ground. In the last three years, we've been awarded multiple grants and awards from federal, regional, and local funding agencies. I love grant writing. Now, actually running the projects after the fact is another story, but you know, we all have our strengths. ;)

Hope to see you all online on Friday...

Grant Writing 101: Developing Winning Proposals
Friday, Oct. 20 at 10 a.m. CST

Have a terrific project, but need money to implement it? Learn how to find funding opportunities, review proposal guidelines, develop budgets, avoid common pitfalls, and develop successful proposals.

This OPAL event will be held in the Auditorium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home